Do I need to study before I arrive?
Yes. You’ll need to pass the appropriate FAA Knowledge Test (AKA written exam) prior to your start date. You can arrive early to take the test here at Skyport, just call ahead to schedule. The FAA requires that you pass a Knowledge Test to get most Pilot Certificates and Ratings, and we’ve found that you’ll be much better prepared for success by completing it prior to flying. Additionally, having the test done before you start flying allows you to focus on the important skills and knowledge areas with fewer distractions. We will send you a prep course when you schedule your flight training. The exam prep course is online and is focused on getting you a passing score (70%). We recommend that you spend at least 5 hours a week for 4 weeks working with the prep course and take some of the included practice exams. If you are ready well before your start date, you are welcome to take the exam ahead of time near you. Once you pass the exam it is valid for 24 months.
Where do I stay?
We have negotiated rates with extended stay hotels, and corporate apartments in the area. Please contact us for more information.
What is NOT covered by the course fee?
- FAA Medical Exam: $90 to $120 depending on Medical Class and doctor
- Lodging and Transportation
- Pilot Supplies (See “What Should I Bring?”)
What is the Practical Test?
The Practical Test is a ground review and flight done with an FAA Designated Pilot Examiner. A Designated Pilot Examiner or DPE is an experienced pilot and flight instructor that can test pilots and issue certificates. The Practical Test is required by the FAA to double check our training and your proficiency. The grading standard used during the test is called the Practical Test Standards or PTS. A copy of the PTS is included in the resource library that we will send when you enroll in the course.
What if I am not a US Citizen?
Unfortunately, Skyport is not accepting international students into our programs.
What Should I Bring?
- Drivers License or Government Issued Photo ID
- Unexpired Passport or Original Birth Certificate
- Medical/Pilot Certificate
- Knowledge Test Results
- Pens, Pencils, Notepad
- Comfortable, Professional Clothing and Closed-Toe Shoes (Temperatures Range from 60-110 F from May to Sept and 30-90 F Oct to Apr)
- Pilot Supplies: Kneeboard, E6B Flight Computer, Plotter, View Limiting Device (You can purchase from us when you arrive.)
- iPad or iPad Mini – Recommended (Our students have access to discounted ForeFlight subscriptions.)
- Aviation Headset – Recommended
- We have headsets and iPads available for you to borrow but they must remain with Skyport
Can my money be refunded?
Yes. Any money you have paid or put on account can be refunded minus the cost of the products and services received. The cost of these products and services are calculated based on our current retail prices:
- FMX Simulator Time: $60 per Hour
- TD Simulator Time: $25 per Hour
- XWind Device Time: $25 per Hour
- Instructor Time: $50 per Hour
- Airplane- RedHawk Time: $175 per Hour
- Knowledge Test Prep Software: $279
- Knowledge Fee: $150
- Practical Test Fee: $400
A Note About Headsets
We have loaner headsets that you can use during your training, but at some point in your flying career you will need to buy a set for yourself. If you don’t already have a pair, we recommend using ours at first so you can make an informed decision after you have had some time in the airplane and simulator. Your instructor will be able to give you advice based on the type of flying you want to do after your training. We sell several models from the top manufacturers.